Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Using My New Conflict Resolution Skills


This assignment came at a perfect time!  For the past two weeks I have been dealing with a conflict at work that involved me, three of my staff, my supervisor and the director of our department.    Here are the details to set the scene- every year staff and I attend the Early Childhood Summit for three days in October.  It is a wonderful event that provides many workshops, experts in the field as key note speakers, state and federal updates on funding and a good opportunity for networking with other early childhood professionals.  It is something I include each year as I prepare the train and technical assistance budget for the program.  Past practice has always been that each person attending has their own room at the host hotel.  We all registered and reserved our rooms as we have done in the past.  About two weeks after this was completed, my supervisor emailed me requesting that I discuss sharing rooms with the staff going this year since the organization itself is tightening spending.   I explained to her that the money is already in place in our program budget so it was not a hardship for us.  I also reminded her that if the money was not spent out, it would need to be returned to the funder and could affect the amount of the allocation for the next program year.   Her response was that was still the present expectation of the organization that people share rooms when going to conferences.  I found myself in a true conflict both personally and professionally.  I knew I had no intention of sharing my room and as I discussed it with the other staff attending, each had legitimate reasons for not feeling comfortable sharing a room.  Everyone also said, had they known before-hand that would be the expectation; they would have declined the invitation to attend.  I have struggled with this for the past two weeks!  As I read the materials for this week, I found myself thinking about ways to incorporate these techniques into my situation.  First, I met with the staff involved to give them the opportunity to share their feelings relating to this request.  I then presented their concerns to my supervisor and the director and proposed a compromise.   I suggested the possibility of finding other accommodations in an all-suite hotel.  If I could find something that was less than the cost of separate rooms, I would propose that to my staff.  They both found that to be reasonable possible solution but the director said that going forward, sharing rooms would be expected but if there are no accommodations that would work, she would allow everyone to keep the arrangement they already made.  I was grateful for the internet! It made my research fairly easy and didn’t take too much time in my already very busy day.   As it turned out, the options were very limited and the only accommodation I found that was less expensive had a suite with only a partially divided room and still only one bathroom.   I met with my staff again, and shared what I found.  They did not feel those accommodations would be any better than just sharing a room.  I  reported back to my supervisor  the outcome of my meeting with my staff and she agreed, I had done as much as I could to attempt to comply with the new way of thinking  and that arrangements already made should stand.

                Reflecting back on the conversations with my staff and with my supervisor and the director, I can now see how different strategies affect the outcome when there is conflict.  My staff actually shared that they felt respected by the way I handled this and really appreciated it. I can’t say I felt the same way in terms of how I was treated by my supervisor and director.  The tone of my meeting with them was authoritative and uncomfortable for me.  In the end, there is a positive outcome and we will all be able to attend Summit.  I was grateful for the new skills I had just learned related to conflict resolution.  How timely this assignment was!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Judith,
    This assignment was timely for me as well. Conflicts trigger strong emotions. If you aren't comfortable with your emotions or able to manage them in times of stress, you won't be able to resolve successfully. I really appreciate all that I have learned from colleagues and research during this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi,

    It seems that this assignment was very timely for you. I like how you took your emotions out of it and presented your staff's concerns to your supervisor and director. I think the way you handled it turned out to be the best solution for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith,

    You seem to have tried to solve the conflict very effectively. Even though the outcomes may not be the ones people wanted, I believe that the process you used to manage the conflict was perfect. I like to study these topics not only because I can learn new things but also learn something that proves what I have been doing was the right since it gives me confidence on it. I hope you feel the same about the experience.

    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judith,
    It seems that you were in the midst of a challenging situation. I admire how hard you worked towards resolving the conflict. Great post.

    ReplyDelete