Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 13, 2013

International Opportunities in Early Childhood Education

International Jobs/Roles in Early Childhood Education
                It was very interesting to read about international organizations that focus on early childhood issues and potential jobs related to them.
                The first organization I considered was Save the Children.  I have contributed to this organization for a few years and have received literature from them on the many initiatives around the world that they are involved in. The mission of Save the Children is to inspire break throughs in the way the world treats children.  It is a large organization employing over 14,000 people in 120 different countries.  I would enjoy being a trainer that would provide orientation for new teachers.   By mentoring teachers and providing a solid foundation that is culturally sensitive and prepares teachers to make an immediate and lasting change in the lives of the children they serve by improving their health and enhancing their education, I feel that I would be making a difference in society.
                The second organization I would consider working for ICF International Early Education Services. While I was familiar with the branch of ICF that serves as the training and technical assistance contractor for Head Start but I did not realize they also have an international division that has a strong program in India. It was formed in 2007 to help address the lack of early childhood standards and licensing regulations.  The initiative is currently working with local earl y childhood experts to design a national licensing and accreditation system that would be equitable and encourage improved quality. I would enjoy taking what I have learned and sharing it with new teachers.
                Lastly, I would consider a position with the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization (UNESCO).  This is one of several groups that are under the umbrella of the United Nations.  The mission of the organization is to advocate on behalf of early care and education programs around the world that attend to health, nutrition, security and learning and support holistic development of children.  One position described on their website really caught my eye.  It was a Project Officer for teacher development in Paris, France. The job entailed working with new teacher in a mentoring capacity. 
            I feel that I would be a viable candidate for any of the jobs listed given my years in the field and my newly acquired knowledge gained through my Walden studies. I also think the knowledge I have gained over the years being involved in advocacy organizations would be useful.  While I am very content in my current position, it was interesting to consider international possibilities.  
Additional information on these organizations can be found on their respective websites listed below.
ICF International Early Education Services- www.icf.com/markets/education/campaigns/international- ece

5 comments:

  1. Judi,
    Thank you for sharing. Although I did not pick save the children as a COP. I would like to work for Save the Children working as an early childhood coordinator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Judi,

    Certainly providing orientation for teachers, especially if they are new, is a great way to make a difference in the life of everyone, even for the trainer. Pre and in-service teachers need to be more sensitive about the culturally diverse populations that shape the early childhood programs, but I consider that working with pre-service teachers would have better results because they are not tired, frustrated, or bored because of standards and paperwork, as some in-service teachers may be.

    Thank you for sharing Judi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judi, I would agree the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization (UNESCO) would be a wonderful organization to have a career. Their mission stands for advocating for early education. Advocating is such a big part in the early childhood field. As professionals, we are consistently educating others about the work we do. It is great to see the UNESCO takes advocating so seriously. I wish you luck on your new journey, and I hope you will get to work with the UNESCO one day.
    Thanks,
    Andrea C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judi,
    I too have Save the Children as part of my CoP. It was very interesting to read aboutt the other organizations that you chose. I thought it was great to imagine myself working for these national organizations.
    Thanks,
    Arica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judi,

    A great way to make a difference in early childhood field is to be involved in licensing regulations and quality standards for programs. I have been passionate about this for many years. I work with programs who feel like licensing standards prove quality, when in actuality they do not. International Early Education Services is a great organization working towards these vital factors of programming.

    Thanks for sharing these organizations!

    ReplyDelete